Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Stick's Quest for Fitness: End Month 6

07/20/09 = 243 lbs(start) 30.8 BMI
08/20/09 = 235 lbs. (-8) 29.8 BMI
09/20/09 = 231 lbs. (-4) 29.3
10/20/09 = 223 lbs. (-8) 28.2
11/20/09 = 222 lbs. (-1) 28.1
12/20/09 = 222 lbs. (-0) 28.1
01/20/10 = 222 lbs. (-0) 28.1 BMI, 20.3% Body Fat

No weight lost, but none gained either. So I guess you could say I survived the holidays without any damage. Though it would have been nice to have lost a little weight, I'm fine with this result. I felt like I plowed pretty hard during the holiday feasts, but I guess I managed better than I thought. Yay.

You'll notice 2 new stats in the tallies at top. BMI (Body Mass Index) and % Body Fat. After seeing a commenter's recommendation, I found a cool Body Fat Monitor on Amazon for $25 and it shows BMI, also. BMI is just a way to gauge weight in relation to what is considered "normal" by the World Health Org. and others, based on age, gender, and height. The WHO actually says that my "normal" BMI should be under 25, which is about 194 pounds and less. But if I just hit 199, I'd be ecstatic. I still have a ways to go, no matter how it's measured.

Now my Body Fat Percentage is another way to gauge how I'm doing. If my weight doesn't change much but my BF% does, then I know I'm still doing something correctly. Since muscle weighs more than fat, this other measurement helps. My "normal" recommended body fat % range is 15-18 and "lean" is 10-15. The "20.3%" reading above is with my monitor set to "athlete" since I'm up to working out 5-6 days a week (1 hr per day). It would be nice to get down to about 15. That would mean I'd be getting some more muscle in there.

I also discovered my pre- and post-workout meals have been backward. As I've been picking up the pace, I've been feeling worn out after my workouts. I did some research and discovered I may have been having low blood sugar issues. Found out I should pack more carbs before and a few more after. We'll see how it goes.

But I feel like I'm still progressing well with my strength and fitness. I'm pushing more weights and lengthening my cardio. Hard to precisely document that stuff, but I can definitely feel it. Still fun to workout.

No comments: