Sunday, December 20, 2009

Stick's Quest for Fitness: End Month 5

07/20/09 = 243 lbs. (start)
08/20/09 = 235 lbs. (-8)
09/20/09 = 231 lbs. (-4)
10/20/09 = 223 lbs. (-8)
11/20/09 = 222 lbs. (-1)
12/20/09 = 222 lbs. (-0)

Now it's getting a bit disturbing. No weight lost this month and only lost 1 pound in 2 months.

Key events this month:
- 1st time hitting the gym for a 6-days-in-a-row stretch
- ... followed shortly thereafter by a 3-day layoff due to common-cold-like symptoms
- Successfully kept my Thanksgiving Day meal size low
- ... but failed with the leftover cheesecake
- Managed my alcohol consumption fairly well, considering I usually increase it in colder months
- ... but it also causes the late night "munchies", which I seem to have failed at managing

IMO, the best beers of the year come out around this time. Snow Cap & Celebration are my faves. I also like stouts better in the winter. But the carbs in beer cause a rise in insulin, which causes the carb cravings. I either have to fight the cravings or stop the beer. So since life IS beer ;), I'll have to padlock the fridge after 6pm or something.

In the first sentence of this post, I used the word "disturbing" since I think my willpower is weakening. But I didn't use the word "discouraging" because I still love the gym and I am still seeing improvements in my fitness. I'm working with more weight and doing longer cardio. I guess it comes down to more research in the diet department. Fine tune what and when I eat, plus work with my beer consumption. I think intervals, timing, and amount control are what I can work with. Beer abstention is NOT an option. I'll apply that to cookies, etc.

Goal is still 199 lbs. No time frame. Keepin' it rockin'.

(PS: R.I.P Brittany Murphy)

2 comments:

K_Kahne_Fan said...

Sticks, two things; What is your height and build? I'm 5'9" and have a naturally medium build. Even when I was 160 #'s, I was not as thin as my friends who were the equivalent. I just have broader hips and shoulders.

And, if you're working out, I'd advise you to get a body fat scale. You may not have lost "weight", but you may have lost body fat. You can usually get one of these from even a Wal Mart for a very small price $30 or so.

So, I would add a 3rd column to your Date/Weight list for Date/Weight/%, so you can see if you % goes down. That's one very big thing that even the hit reality show Biggest Loser misses. Even though a contestant may not lose as much "weight" as another, they may lose more FAT than another.

Stick said...

I'm 6'3" and I think I'm on the thin side of medium build. Yeah, my wife said the same thing about fat vs weight. But I guess I'm judging my gut size. Doesn't seem to have changed in a while. But thanks for the tip about body fat scales. I'll check 'em out. Cheers.