Friday, November 13, 2009

Passive Poker Works?

As I moved down to 25NL for "tuning" near the end of last month, I found myself somewhat adjusting to the style of play I ran across. I noticed that there was a lot of cold calling going on and not much respect shown to c-bets. In fact, I could read fake c-bettors really well. So I had to dial way back on my aggression and see more flops in position by over-limping or cold calling. Then there was often draw chasers or 2nd pair/underpair callers who would pay off TPGK or better.

That meant I had to revert back to a more passive overall style. Post-flop play became more important than preflop aggression, stealing, & squeezing. And it has worked so far! Here are my stats for the 1st 13 days of the month:



The stats that stick out to me here are the low 34.1% ratio between my VPIP & PF raises AND my high 68.2% Flop Fold vs C-bet at 25NL compared to my negative W$w/oSD at 25NL. But my showdowns are hugely positive, which is a big change from how I was running at 50NL.

I'm not sure if this style will work at 50NL so I think I'll just ride the wave at 25NL for a while. Besides an anemic amount of hands played this month, everything else is going better than planned. Fingers crossed, knock on wood, etc.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Sounds like you are doing a good job of adjusting to the conditions of the table, rather than just playing a style. Keep up the good work.