Monday, November 24, 2008

Running Low & Flat & Confused

This month has been confusing poker-wise. Ups and downs due to numerous reasons are just killing me mentally. It's funny how I can pretty much pinpoint what has happened during nearly every movement in my graph...



... but it seems I can't do much about it. When my blue line plunges, I've been too aggressive at the wrong time. When my red line dips and my blue line launches, I've been too passive. When my thick green line and thin green line widen the gap between each other, I've been hit with some bad beats. Too passive? Too aggressive? Too unlucky? Seems like when I fix one, another pops up. But I'll stay at it.

I even tried a little 10NL last night to get some mojo back. I really felt a good balance in my play. Even though that session was a slight loss, I felt like I played well. It just felt like I was very aware. I had great reads and pulled off some great bluffs and hero calls. I wonder what that means?

At the suggestion of a friend, I've also switched my reading from "Mastering No-Limit Hold'em" by Fox & Harker to "No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice" by Sklansky & Miller. My buddy SteveG1976 has been discussing sections of the book with me as I read them and it really, really helps in my motivation and understanding of what I've been reading. We get on Skype and discuss the book. We also use the Mikogo screen sharer to look at hands and try to apply the reading to them. I highly recommend this type of approach for folks like me who have problems with staying motivated while reading a book. Having someone else in the mix really lights the fire.

No comments: