Thursday, October 16, 2008

Team Event Chaos and Mid-month Update

Even though I had previously decided I wouldn't since I didn't have a good time in the last one, I was talked into participating in the Cardschat Team Event at the last minute. I guess a bunch of people dropped out right before it started and they were starved for replacements. I felt like I was doing a good deed while also having a chance to play with some CC buddies. My team seems to have pretty good spirit overall, good skill, and they're good folks, too. But as far as the event itself is concerned, I'm not sure what it is all turning out to be. I thought the purpose of the thing was to get some folks together to play in a slightly different format, get the team spirit going, and have a bit of good natured ribbing between teams. But what I've seen so far is extended in-game trash talk resulting in hard feelings, continuous accusations of soft play and chip dumping to teammates, a crushing team penalty already handed out to one team, and just an overall sense of seriousness and tension. The light-hearted environment seems to have gone away (at least for me and a few others I've heard from), but I guess we'll tough it out. Then to top it off, I have been neglecting my cash game progress a bit more than I should because of the team thing and I'm starting to wonder if it is really worth it.

I've have been working with Bob_Tiger on improving my tourney skills and it seems to be helping. I've played a few 18-, 27-, and 45-man games and cashed in a couple. I still like STT's, but I think I'll be more willing to try more MTT's now (when I have time).

I'm near even for the month profit-wise. Started out badly and came back from it. I still don't feel fully comfortable at 50NL for some reason. I've been switching between 25NL & 50NL for a little while and it seems to help. I'm hoping that the comfort I need will come when I grow a little more cushion in my BR. IceMonkey and I did some ring videos and he posted them on CC. I got some good feedback from the one I played in and I think I can make some tweaks in my game to incorporate those tips. Always learning, it seems.

I've been reading a book called "Mastering No-limit Hold'em" by Fox & Harker. It is geared towards cash games and seems like a good one so far. I'll be posting a review when I finish it. Problem is that I only seem to be reading a few pages a week since I play so much. I'll have to figure out how to read more often.

No comments: