Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Official Move to 50NL = Swingy

Well, I finally made my full move from 25NL to 50NL on PokerStars. For a while this month, I was playing 3 50NL tables and 2 25NL. Then it was 4 50NL and 1 25NL for a few days. Then yesterday, I went to 5 50NL tables and felt fine. Overall, I'm doing well. But there have been a few days when the roller coaster was running full speed. I had 2 days in a row where I lost big early and came back for a modest overall profit for the day. I'm having to reinforce my anti-tilt techniques since the beats at 50NL cost more. It was rough for a few days, but I think I have a handle on it now. But a big advantage of multi-tabling 50NL at PokerStars is that achieving and maintaining a Silverstar VIP ranking is a piece of cake.

A buddy of mine asked me a couple days ago about the differences between 25NL and 50NL. After a bit of thought, I said that the bad players at 50NL seem to come up with a good play from time to time and that there are more Euros at that level. I've also noticed more 6-handed flops at full ring and more min-raising on all streets. Seems to be more fear of risk at this level.

After ChuckTs talked some sense into me about buying in for the full amount at a cash table, I seem to have gotten over that problem. I think my issue was wanting less risk while multi-tabling, but no I've determined that I may have missed some profit when playing for stacks. Problem solved, I guess.

2 comments:

Icemonkey9 said...

Congrats on the move. I actually did my first 50nl session on Sunday and ended up +$8ish over 150 hands. I really didn't notice any better or worse play than at 25nl.

Good luck and see you at the tables. Crazy how those FPPs just rake in at 50nl compared to 25!

Steven said...

Congrats on the move up in stakes Stick. Pretty soon you will up to 100nl and wondering what the big deal with 50nl was.