Tuesday, June 3, 2008

May Results Mixed

I ended May with a profit of about $68, but a disturbing development has occurred. While my STT/MTT results have improved dramatically, my cash game results took a tumble. The disturbing part is that I have been concentrating most of my effort over the past few months on improving my cash game skills. I have made some good progress in those months until May. I'm not quite sure what happened. I do remember a few bad calls along the way, but not too many.

I was -$45 over 5600 hands in cash games, but it was my post-flop aggression factor that I have noticed. It was only 1.75 and I think it is due to being lulled by the passive style I have fallen into at the 25NL level. I have had some success with it in the past by flat calling PF raises with semi-strong hands and trying to hit a big flop, but now that seems like "swinging for the fences". Now at 25NL, my pre-flop raise % has dropped to 6.5. I know that is way too passive to be profitable and I have had success when it was around 7.5 or 8. My c-betting has suffered, as well. It seems I've become a bit too weak in cash games and I need to snap out of it.

But the good news is that my tourney game has improved immensely (hope I don't jinx myself by saying this). My ROI% was 31.6 over 68 tournaments. I even had some players comment on my good run after they looked up my latest Sharkscope or Top Shark stats. I'm not completely sure what the key has been to my latest success. It might be that I have been mixing up my play quite well between patience and bluffing. It also could be that I have been getting great reads on my opponents and have been really tuning in to the flow of play. Concentration has been an issue for me in the past.

With these new developments in my progress, I feel like playing more SNG's. But I am afraid my cash game will suffer if I get lax in my efforts to improve it. I think I am at a crossroads between developing my overall game OR trying to make larger profits in a way that is easiest for me. Lately, I have read very little of the current book I am on since I have been playing so much. I haven't even taken the time to post the latest book review I have been promising here for a few weeks (it's coming, I promise). Time to choose a path, I guess.

I would also like to lose about 10 pounds before the brewfest on the 28th, but that's a different story...

No comments: