Friday, March 21, 2008

Hey Man! Don't Scare the Donkey!

A huge online (and even live) pet peeve of mine is when there is a bad player at my table who is spewing chips to everyone and someone gets mad when that donk happens to suck out on him. The victim of the suckout then proceeds to berate the donk and tell him how bad he is playing. Sometimes the donk stays the same, but many times the donk will either tighten up or just leave. I think the mad guy is breaching etiquette to the whole table and not just the donk. When he interrupts the chip flow like that, the whole table should be angry. He's doing such a disservice to his fellow players, not just the donk.

Sometimes, I'll type in something like "Please don't tap the tank" or "Why coach him? Not too smart". But usually the hothead keeps going, but sometimes the guy even gets mad at me. I just don't understand why some people just have this uncontrollable urge to put their fingers to the keyboard and fire off their frustration. I used to do it myself when I first started playing and I STILL don't understand it. I could care less that the tilter can't handle the reality of poker. But when he affects my game by giving a donkey a clue, that's when I get offended. It almost puts ME on tilt, but not quite.

There's even a few, well respected forum players I know who have shot their catty little chatbox daggers at me and others during a game. If they think I'm a donkey, why clue me in on how they are thinking? Just take notes and try to beat me. It's so disrespectful to everyone at the table to scare the fish into leaving or playing better. This goes for tournaments, too.

So if there is someone reading this who might have this problem, just let me say this: Please consider your fellow, non-donkey players before you berate the donk. Just shut up and play!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a donkey. I don't need to be reminded of it. My self-esteem is already bottom-of-the-barrel. I play just for fun, knowing that I have no chance of winning. But I suffer greatly from the abuse and just can no longer keep playing once you start harping on my case.